- 2 pounds chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 cup hearts of palm, chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon flour dissolved in 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Salt, oregano and pepper to taste
- You can add green olives, corn, boiled eggs, green peas (optional)
- 5 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 sticks butter (12 ounces), cut into smaller pieces
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten, for brushing
In a large non-stick saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Take a chicken breast or two and shred it while it cooks. Add the onion and let cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2-3 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic, chicken broth, onion, salt, pepper, chopped cilantro and tomato sauce. Add hearts of palm, chopped .Cook until sauce thickened a bit, and all of the chicken is shredded. Add flour dissolved in 1/3 cup milk. Adjust to taste. Add the chopped parsley, orégano and stir to incorporate. Cool completely before assembling the pie.
- Step 1 – Combine the flour and the salt in a large bowl. Add the egg yolks and stir well. Then add the butter and use your fingers to work the butter into the flour. Add the water, a few tablespoons of a time, and continue working with your fingers until the dough comes together. You might not need all the water. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Step 2 – Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Step 3 – When the dough is chill, cut 1/3 of the dough and reserve. Roll out the remaining dough to about 12″ round. Place the pastry in a 9-inch spring form pan, making sure the dough also covers the sides and prick it all over with a fork. Add the cold filling, smoothing it out so its evenly distributed. Then, roll out the remaining dough and place it on top of the filling, sealing the pie and tucking the edges.
- Step 4 – Using a knife, make two cuts in the center of the top crust, so that steam can escape while baking. Brush the pie with the lightly beaten egg yolk. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes.
- You can add on top of the filling some catupiry cheese or cream cheese before closing the pie. Or if you prefer, during the preparation of the filling you can add 1 cup of heavy cream after added milk.
- Can be served with a nice green salad and rice.
- You can change the recipe of the filling using ground meet, tuna, shrimp instead of chicken.