- 3 strips smoked bacon, diced
- 3 Calabrese Sausage, chopped (you can use the regular italian sausage too)
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- 2 cups (250 grams) cassava flour
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a cold skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until golden brown.
Once the fat is rendered, add the butter and cook the bacon until golden brown.
Add the finely chopped onions and sauté them until transparent.
Add the garlic and sauté it for a minute.
Add the cassava flour and stir continuously to avoid letting it burn.
Add salt and pepper to taste, and once the farofa is nicely and evenly toasted, remove it from the heat. It shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes after adding the cassava flour.
Now, add the parsley and chives and mix well the ingredients.
Transfer your farofa to a serving plate and serve it at room temperature.
We can serve farofa with rice and beans and some meat. Normally mix all ingredients on the plate. But also farofa can be served with barbecue or feijoada (black bean stew) that it will be explained on the next steps.