- 3cups all-purpose flour
- 1tablespoon salt
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 50 ml cold water
- 1tablespoon fermented sugarcane juice (optional)
- Vegetable oil for frying
If fermented sugarcane juice , your dough will becomes light and crunchy
FILLING – Ground beef
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1small onion, finely chopped
- 2cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1/2pound ground beef
- 1 boiled egg chopped
- 1/3cup chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
FILLING – cheese
- You can use mozzarella, cheddar, provolone or whatever cheese you prefer, sliced.
You can use a lot of kinds of fillings, some popular like ground beef and cheese, you can also prepare with chicken and cream cheese, dry meat, shrimp, pizza, creamy hearts of palm, etc.
Step 1 – FOR Ground beef FILLING
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, combine olive oil and onions. Cook the onions until soft, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 40 seconds. Add ground beef and cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Break the beef into smaller pieces and continue browning. Just continue cooking until all the water has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper. Add boiled egg sliced and parsley. If you like, you can add olives sliced.
Step 2- PREPARING THE DOUGH
- In a bowl, sift the flour. Transfer to the processor. Add in the middle, the egg, the oil and a little salt water. You can add fermented sugarcane juice (cachaça) at this time if you want. Stir or beat well. Add more water so that the dough is homogeneous and forms a smooth and uniform ball, with a firm consistency (neither too hard nor too soft). Cover with food warp and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- After the refrigerator time, remove the dough, sprinkle a little flour on the counter and open it as thin as you can with the rolling pin.
- Cut them into rectangles and on parchment paper, as small or big as you’d like.
- Place a couple of tablespoons (or cubes/slices of cheese) of the desired filling and then fold, pressing the edges by using a fork, pinch them together all the way around.
- Roll out the reserved dough and repeat the steps above.
Step 3- HOW TO FRY THE PASTÉIS
- Heat a deep saucepan with oil, place the pasteis.When the oil is very hot, around 165°C. Let it brown and crispy. Flipping once, about 2 minutes. Remove and place on a grid or absorbent paper.
- Serve immediately!