PANCAKE – around 6 pancakes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
FILLING – Ground beef with tomato sauce
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1small onion, finely chopped
- 2cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1/2pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup green olives chopped
- 1 tomato puree
- 3 tbsp tomato paste or sauce
- 1/3cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup beef broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
FILLING – cheese and ham
- You can use mozzarella, cheddar, provolone or whatever cheese you prefer, with ham.
You can use a different kinds of savory fillings like: chicken with tomato sauce, spinach ricotta, shrimp, hearts of palm with tomato sauce or white sauce, etc
Step 1 – PANCAKE
- On a blender put the milk, egg, parmesan cheese and 1 pinch of salt. Start to blend it and adding the flour one bit at a time. After all the flour is added blend it for a couple of minutes until the liquid is uniform. If needed use a spoon to mix any flour that stick to the blender cup.
- Heat a pan to medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the pancake batter and quickly spread it all to cover the bottom of skillet.
- Try to make the pancakes as thin as possible. Very similar to the thickness of a French crepe. Turn the pancake to brown the other side.
- Stack pancakes on a plate.
Step 2 – FILLING – Ground beef with tomato sauce
- In a medium pan, brown lean ground beef, add onions, garlic, salt and pepper and let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes, parsley, olives and let it cook for 8-10 minutes.
Step 3 – building the pancakes
- Place one pancake on a plate. Add the filling (about 2 tablespoons).
- Roll it. Repeat until all the pancakes are filled.
- Place the pancakes side by side, in an oven safe dish spreading some tomato sauce between them so they do not stick to each other.
- Finish with some tomato sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheese on the top.
- Take it to a preheated oven at 160C for 10 to15min. Checking every 5 min. You need to avoid drying the tomato sauce.
- Top off with fresh garden herbs such as basil or parsley if you like and serve immediately.