HOW TO PREPARE THE GNOCCHI
- 1 kg of potatoes (do not use new potatoes)
- 1 cup of flour all purpose
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg
- In a large pot boil peeled potatoes until tender, remove from the pot and let cool enough to handle, then remove the skin. You also can remove the skin before boiled.
- Then using a fork or a machine, knead the potatoes.
- On a flat surface mix together the flour and salt make a well in the middle and add the potatoes and egg, mix together with your fingers to form a soft dough, it should not stick to your fingers.
- On a lightly floured surface, cut small amounts of dough to form ropes and cut into 3/4 inch pieces, then slide each piece on a fork and squeeze a little (but not too hard).
- Sprinkle with a little bit of flour and toss, so they don’t stick together.
- Let the gnocchi rest for 30 minutes before cooking.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water cook the gnocchi, gnocchi are ready when they float to the top.
- Drain and toss with desired sauce. On this cause I will prepare the Bolognese sauce.
HOW TO PREPARE THE BOLOGNESE SAUCE
- 6 pancetta slices, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 rosemary sprig, leaves chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2dashes of hot pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 500g beef mince
- 1 broth meat
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup of tomato sauce
- 2 tomatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves (optional)
- Finely grated parmesan, to serve (optional)
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley, to serve
Step 1 – In a large saucepan add olive oil, fried the pancetta, cook and stirring, for 5-6 minutes and add garlic and onion.
Step 2 – Add the beef and cook, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon, for 8-10 minutes until browned. Then add broth meat, salt, oregano, basil, hot pepper, rosemary and tomatoes. After 3 minutes cooking, add tomato sauce and 1 1/2 cup of hot water. Stir to combine, half cover, add bay leaves and let simmer over medium heat until thickened.
Step 3 – Add the gnocchi to the pan and toss with half the sauce. You can add parmesan cheese if you prefer. Cook for 2 minutes.
Step 4 – Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Step 5 – Divide among serving bowls or only a big one and top with remaining sauce and parmesan, then garnish with parsley.
Step 6 – On the oven, you can keep during 5 minutes, just to melt the cheese totally.
- You can choose any king of sauce, probably the most popular being a simple tomato sauce, you could also toss them with Pesto, butter and salvia, ricotta, 4 cheese or even a simple cream sauce.
- The Gnocchi can also be frozen, place the uncooked gnocchi on a cookie tray in the freezer, leave for approximately 20 minutes then place them in an airtight freezer bag. They will keep for about 1 month, and ready for next time.