- 1 lb. medium or large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/2 tsp. salt and black pepper
- Lime juice (you can use 1 or 2 limes)
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes peeled, seeded and diced fresh tomato
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 tbp chopped cilantro
- 2 cups Catupiry cheese (you can use cream cheese , table cream or whipped cream)
- 6 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 1/3cup chopped parsley
Step 1 – Season the shrimp with the salt, lime juice, olive oil and garlic. Reserve for 30 minutes.
Step 2 – In a large, heavy saucepan, add oil, onion, garlic , chopped tomatoes and stir during 2 minutes. After add tomato sauce.
Step 3 – Place the shrimp with all the juice from the marinade. Add cilantro. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, adding up to 1/2 cup boiling water if necessary to avoid drying out. Your sauce needs to be very consistent.
Step 4 – Turn off the heat. Add the “catupiry”cheese, and stir until the cheese melts into the cooked marinade shrimp. Remove from the saucepan to a platter that you can use to heat.
Step 5 – Preheat the oven to moderate (175° C ; 350° F), place to bake for 15 – 20 minutes until the cheese gratins. After the cheese is completely melted and browned, you can sprinkle some big shrimp cooked, parsley and oregano on top and serve.
- Catupiry is a brand of cheese , not a type of cheese. Brazilians have a full of recipes with catupiry (meet, chicken with catupiry).
- Catupiry is a smooth cream cheese with a flavor that recalls Brie or Camembert.